The rain should start to clear today and there’s lots to do during Merrie Monarch week here in beautiful Volcano, HI. We are almost fully booked but have some availability left and it’s a perfect time to book! The Halemaʻumaʻu lake is on the rise and there are lots of events happening in the park:
Wednesday, April 19 – 11am to 1pm:
- Lei Wili – Learn to wili lei! Join Kumu Hula Ab Valencia and family to learn this ancient art.
- Kāpala Mea Ulu – Practice your artistic skill with Hawaiian kāpala (stamping) using plant material.
- Lei Hulu – Kilohana Domingo will demonstrate his skill in beautiful Hawaiian feather lei.
- Leo Nahenahe – “The Young Brothers” will entertain you with their smooth local melodies; both modern and traditional.
- Pala’ie – Create and play this traditional Hawaiian ball and hoop game made of natural materials.
Thursday, April 20 – 11am to 1pm:
- Lei – Patricia Kaula will teach the famous and elegant skill of Hawaiian lei making.
- Kuku Kapa – Skilled Practitioner Joni Mae Makuakāne-Jarrell will demonstrate the art of creating kapa, traditional bark cloth.
- Haku Hulu – Vi Makuakāne will share her knowledge of intricate Hawaiian featherwork.
- Leo Nahenahe – Multiple Nā Hōkū Hanohano award and lifetime achievement award winner Kenneth Makuakāne will perform his music.
- ‘Ohe Kāpala – Use the ‘ohe kāpala stamp to create art!